Bargerton School and the original village took their names from one of the early settlers and merchants, Ausburn Barger.
Bargerton School was established in 1921. The original school was three rooms heated by a wood stove and used coal oil lamps for lighting. In 1936 the school still consisted of three rooms but a generator had been installed and they now had electricity.
In 1958 county school consolidation began thus combining area students from Antioch, Mt. Gilead, Center Ridge, Bolen's Chapel and Union Cross with Bargerton. In later years students from the Park Meals school would also join Bargerton. Current enrollment is approximately 270 students.